Sunday, May 8, 2011

Jazzfest 2011


It's that time of year again: the end of school and finals, the start of summer vacation, and, for those based in New Orleans, Jazzfest. Although I have lived in this city for the last 6 years or so, this was only my second time attending the music festival.  Last year, my dad came down and we attended Jazzfest for the sole purpose of seeing Simon and Garfunkel reunite.  Therefore, we missed many of the lovely attractions: the crafts, the lesser known jazz groups, and the food. Oh the glorious food! So when he came to visit this year we went back to the festival with the intention of correcting these horrific oversights. 


 The crafts did not disappoint. I was fully expecting a handful of booths relegated to a dark, muddy corner of the festival grounds. But while crafts obviously weren't the primary focus of the event (the name, Jazzfest, kind of tips you off on that one), they were a pretty substantial component.

I particularly appreciated the Contemporary Craft booths. Several of the exhibits were intriguing, others were simply breathtaking. After this weekend my list of potential projects has gotten significantly longer.  I particularly want to attempt to recreate the 'steampunk birds' depicted above and the dragonflies shown below.

2 comments: