Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chandelier Earrings

As you might have figured out by now, I tend to change projects pretty often. Some might claim that this represents a lack of focus, a fear of commitment, restless hands syndrome, etc. 

Personally, I think it indicates an explorer's spirit, the thirst for uncharted territory. Boldly going where no Linda has gone before.

However, I do have certain craft staples, projects or art forms that I keep coming back to.  One of my most enduring craft interests is jewelry making, earrings being a personal favorite.

So this is going to be a series. Every post will center around a different earring style of my design (or a style that I attempt to recreate).

Chandelier Earrings:

*Warning:  I am just an amateur jewelry maker so some of the terminology/descriptions might not be accurate.  Please don't hesitate to correct me.  That's how we learn!

Raw materials



Things you will need:

Crimp Beads
Beads (small, medium, and large sizes)
Fishhooks/French hooks
Wire/headpins/eye pins
Jump rings





The basic framework for the earring
 The framework of the earring is pretty simple. You take a length of wire or a head pin with the base clipped off, feed 3 crimp beads onto the wire, and then fold the ends into loops.  Bend the wire into a "U" shape.  Flatten the crimp beads slightly with pliers then feed the jump rings into the crimp beads.  Flatten the crimp beads further.  Finally, feed a jump ring  through the loops at the top of the "U".
The s-m-s "charms"
 Place three beads on a wire either in the pattern of small-medium-small (you will need 6 of these) or medium-large-medium (you will need 2 of these).  Using pliers bend the both ends of the wire into loops.

Fasten the m-l-m "charm" onto the middle jump ring at the base of the "U". All of the other jump rings, including the one joining the top of the "U" receive a s-m-s "charm". Let me know how they turn out!

The finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment